3 years ago for Christmas, my sister -in -law gave me a little sign holder and some wood plaques. She is so talented and I've loved changing around the signs. I've needed a few more to round out my seasons & holidays so I got cracking. I asked her what she suggested for glue - having just discovered spray adhesive as well (told ya I was slow!) and she told me about Mod Podge. Yea!
I had my Dad cut me out some wood pieces. 8"x8" and 8"x10" and he put the hanging holes in them for me too. I was just going to paint some pictures on them but then I found some cute scrapbook paper and decided to use that.
I got a piece of 150 grit sandpaper and smoothed out the sides and holes.
Then I got a small sponge brush and yellow paint and created "heat waves".
Then I grabbed my paper and fussy cut what I wanted where.
Then I used another sponge brush with my Mod Podge and used it like glue to put down my pieces.
After this dried for about 5 to 10 minutes, I applied a topcoat of Mod Podge. A lite coat just for sealant purposes. As a note for anyone who has not used this before, Mod Podge will make your plain computer paper bubble. When it dries, this bubbling will go away.
I thought the sign was missing a little something so I found some sparkly paper at Walmart for $5 a pack and used my cricut on different settings to cut out some letters.
Some of the paper covered my hanging holes and so after it had dried 24 hours I went back with my exacto knife and re-cut the holes.
I happened to go into the Dollar Tree on a day they had just gotten in some spooled of wired ribbon. Yippie! Lucky me!
I cut off the length of ribbon I wanted, thread it front to back thru the holes...
And tied it in triple knots tucking the extra under the knot.
And wa la! Fun little signage....
Here's a couple others I completed. Still working on some other ideas. I'll share those when I'm done!
I got these leaves in a big bag from Dollar Tree as well.
Then I needed to make a piñata for a school reading program class party prize. I'll post more about it another time... But here's the end result. Yes I did utilize some Mod Podge in it as well!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone